Thursday, February 24, 2011

Karl's current state

It occurred to me that my pals aren't psychic, so here's my current state- I don't want anyone to freak when I show up for a lunch invite:

I am wheelchair bound.  Fully and permanently.  I can shuffle short distances, but it's a risk every time.  The will be another blog post about the adventures of powered wheel chairs.  What a scam. -- my arms and hands don't work well either, as I discovered stranded once in a manual chair in a Target parking lot.
Spasming.  Full body, full strength, violent  ("Wile E. Coyote and the earthquake pills".)
Fatigue.  MS fatigue attacks are really something else.  I'm at the point now where I'm nearly narcoleptic.  If I'm going down, I'm going down.  I've told my family that if they find me laying on the floor (they have), just leave me there-I'll eventually get up.  I go through periods of "Rip Van Winkle" time also, sleeping for 20hrs a day for weeks.  I'm just coming out of another one of those.
Severe cognitive issues.
Vision issues.
The left side of my face is sliding. (Was thinking of wearing an eye patch, but I'd look way, way too sexy.)
Severe sleep disturbance.  (Went for a sleep study.  After what felt like the best night's sleep I'd had in a long while the doc said "Wow, rough night, huh?"  Apparently I never, ever get into the lower sleep stages and there's nothing they can do about it.)
Crazy.  I recently took the MMPI2, and was very, very careful-I considered each question carefully and slowly. I broke the test.  The results came back as too extreme to be valid.  My doc says this is because my actual physical brain damage, combined with psychological issues, is creating a mighty surreal experience.  I guess the scarier part is that I functioned in the world like that for so long, lol.
Pain.  It hurts a bit.

and there's more, but that's most of the big stuff.

almost forgot-
Stink.  My prescription medication carries the side effect of a certain, very distinct odor.  If you are convinced that said medication is radioactive, contagious, or the workings of Lucifer just sit a few seats away at lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment